Build Scripts

Are there any build scripts available for these boards? Like the ones from Firefly, Armbian or BayLibre? I see in the Libre Computer Project Github the available resources, such as the kernel, overlay, uboot, etc... But no specific script or mechanism to bring it all together. Is there a Github available that has these tools? I'm most interested in building .IMG's for the Tritium and Le Potato. Such as the IMG's you make available.
Thanx!

Comments

• There's no plans to release the image builder because it is a professional services offering. It's not complicated since it is based on debootstrap but there's confidential information.
  • Well that's a real shame and not very "open" I must say.
    Because using a combination of a slightly modified version of the BayLibre script and Armbian, I've been able to successfully build my own IMG's with even more built in wifi dongle support. I was hoping by seeing your scripting, I'd get a better understanding of how certain things worked. Such as growing the File System during boot, adding a swap partition "so forth and so on" without having to manually do it after the fact. Also seeing how this u-boot magic works and if having grub is even worth it, in some use cases.

It's a shame that you can't remove the "confidential information" and still provide a way in which users of the boards "you are selling", can still build and make images for them in a simplified fashion. As a user, i'm not trying to step on the toes of any "professional services offering" and just trying to get the best use out of the board(s) your providing.

Again, Thanx! And I hope at some point you eventually change your mind(s).
  • edited May 10
    Our internal builder follows the standard deboostrap process for Ubuntu/Debian so it is using standard affair. It involves multiple manual setup steps and is not as well done as Armbian. It has proprietary customer information which is why it cannot be released. The kernel and u-boot are upstream. Armbian's builder is not only more robust, it is also more flexible than our internal one since we target specific use case (mainline u-boot and mainline Linux).
  • edited May 19
    It has proprietary customer information which is why it cannot be released...? WHAT!!!
    Why would the same box/container/cloud/computer used for commerce, also be being used for building .IMG's?

As for the rest, being a standard debootstrap affair and all of the blah blah blah being manual steps, I get it. I'm in the same boat, trying to work this out. Hence, the reason I reached out to you all in the first place. I'm also only interested in mainline Linux and "trying to figure out" this u-boot. It seems the more I read about u-boot, the more I find things not properly explained.

SIDE NOTE:
    You provide IMG's for Raspberry Pi's, which as I'm sure you know have a Github and although you might have changed the recipe a bit, you are still using the proprietary bits to pull it all together. Also, if I'm not mistaken your original IMG's for some of these boards were built using the Armbian Builder. I'm just not seeing your lack of transparency here, as a good and open thing. No offense.

Anyway, if my customer information is some how wrapped up inside the build process of the IMG's you make, please remove that information. Cheers! and may the Schwartz be with you.  ;) 
  • edited May 20
    Why would the same box/container/cloud/computer used for commerce, also be being used for building .IMG's?

What are you talking about? This is not what we said.

As for the rest, being a standard debootstrap affair and all of the blah blah blah being manual steps, I get it. I'm in the same boat, trying to work this out. Hence, the reason I reached out to you all in the first place. I'm also only interested in mainline Linux and "trying to figure out" this u-boot. It seems the more I read about u-boot, the more I find things not properly explained.
    See Armbian. They have all of the code to pull together everything into an image.
    You provide IMG's for Raspberry Pi's, which as I'm sure you know have a Github and although you might have changed the recipe a bit, you are still using the proprietary bits to pull it all together. Also, if I'm not mistaken your original IMG's for some of these boards were built using the Armbian Builder. I'm just not seeing your lack of transparency here, as a good and open thing. No offense.
    We do not use Armbian for building our images. We have a script that does truncates a file, create file system, mounts, debootstrap, dpkg some kernel bits into the image, and dumps a pre-built u-boot into it. It is not designed for public consumption and there's no magic here that is not already in Armbian. Armbian is way better of a reference since the design is more modular and builds from source. Just use Armbian as reference. Our image builder is not for designed for mass consumption and you would waste weeks figuring everything out and maybe get it to work. Armbian is much better suited and open source.
  • loverpi said: We do not use Armbian for building our images. 
    This isn't you? Link

I can dig through the Armbian forum as well, if you like? Anyway, it's besides the point and I think this has all gone off message. I don't have a problem building the .IMG's and I'm currently not using Armbian to do so. I've stated in earlier posts what my interests were and are and it's become absolutely clear that you have ZERO and NO interest in being open about anything. So... Let's just leave this closed and you can go on with what ever it is you call business as usual.
    Thanks.
  • edited May 21
    The very first ALL-H5-CC images were from Armbian using the Armbian builder. Armbian has ALL-H3-CC as an official target. We do not understand your fixation on a proprietary incomplete solution when better alternatives exist. This is not a question about being open or not. Our solution was not designed from the get-go for end-users since it's basically a manual image assembler where most steps are manual. It takes us two full engineering day to setup all the sources, compile it, and the build images. It would take users weeks just to tinker with it and build non-functioning images. We do not have the bandwidth to support end-users on this tooling which is why it is a professional offering where we provide engineering support and do most of the legwork. Best to move on and not become fixated on this point for no good reason.
  • You can find an old version here: https://github.com/BayLibre/libretech-image-builder
    Just take one look at the code and you will see that Armbian is much better in terms of design. The code has improved since then but it's nothing to write home about.
  • Great! Keep up the good work. Sorry for bothering you... and yea' I already linked that hub at the start of the discussion. Anyway, not to be rude, but it's called the GPL for a reason. It's not about fixation, it's about obligation and I also understand that releasing ones work before it's complete can be embarrassing, but I also know that making it public and following those proper guidelines can lead to helpful and sometimes unexpected solutions. 
    Anyway, best wishes and hope all works out.
  • We have not distributed the code under any license so all rights are reserved. GPL does not apply here since there's no GPL code in the builder.