PREVIEW: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Server Alpha

edited October 27 in AML-S805X-AC
La Frite should be officially supported by Ubuntu 20.04 from Canonical. The first alpha daily arm64 iso has arrived targeting the ARM EBBR specification.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily/current/focal-server-arm64.iso
It took two years of extensive upstream developer work to get to this point and it is the first time a consumer ARM64 board is supported. We are working closely with Canonical's software team to get all of our platforms supported without modifications. However, some platforms will need minor kernel modifications to enable all features.
Please leave all comments below and do not contact Canonical/Ubuntu's team or create bugs in their system. We will follow up with them for specific issues.

Comments

• edited October 27
    Is La Frite going to be fully suported, or will it need any modifications? I've tried booting the current ISO and the keyboard stops being detected once I get into the installation process, just like the other distros I've tried. I haven't checked, but it's probably CONFIG_PHY_MESON_GXL_USB2 not being set to yes, or the module not being included in initramfs
  • I've just read your kickstarter update, and you said you're working on keyboard reliability, but it's on the firmware side. Is my issue related to it, because the keyboard is fully fuctional for me in firmware and grub menu, but after that, it stops working.
  • I have the same problem with keyboard. Keyboard works in u-boot and in grub, but not in language selection GUI. I did check, and indeed the phy-meson-gxl-usb2 module is neither built-in nor included in the initrd as a loadable module. Bummer.
  • loverpi said:
    La Frite should be officially supported by Ubuntu 20.04 from Canonical. The first alpha daily arm64 iso has arrived targeting the ARM EBBR specification.
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily/current/focal-server-arm64.iso
    It took two years of extensive upstream developer work to get to this point and it is the first time a consumer ARM64 board is supported. We are working closely with Canonical's software team to get all of our platforms supported without modifications. However, some platforms will need minor kernel modifications to enable all features.
    Please leave all comments below and do not contact Canonical/Ubuntu's team or create bugs in their system. We will follow up with them for specific issues.

• edited November 1
    Yes, can also confirm via serial console,  meson-gxl-usb2 missing only usb-storage module loaded
    why do they even post this news, if you cannot use it as provided ?
    install will start, but cant mount usb install image so cant install that way also, will try PXE next
  • @Mark_Birss ; USB isn't the only way you can boot (PXE, as you mention, is an alternative). The nature of an Alpha is there's a bunch of stuff that doesn't work in a bunch of places, so unless you really can't boot it at all it seems fair. There has been talk of putting the board in USB target mode to write to eMMC which may be another alternative.
  • davisonja said:
    @Mark_Birss ; USB isn't the only way you can boot (PXE, as you mention, is an alternative). The nature of an Alpha is there's a bunch of stuff that doesn't work in a bunch of places, so unless you really can't boot it at all it seems fair. There has been talk of putting the board in USB target mode to write to eMMC which may be another alternative.
    The fact that the module isn't enabled means that the usb's won't work even in you install it in other ways. I've encountered this same issue before trying to install other distros, like OpenSUSE on the board, and this module is in fact enabled in libre-computer provided images. If they are working with Canonical, enabling the needed kernel modules for the board to fully function should have been a priority.